Sunday, November 11, 2012

Welcome to Roland's Wood online

I have created this blog to celebrate Roland's Wood and all the people who are working so hard to make it a place for the community - and their dogs - to come and enjoy.

I enjoy the woods all year round, there is always something to notice and appreciate, but I am absolutely entranced by the bluebells each September, a blue haze stretching across the hilltop, taking me back to woodland walks - complete with dog, during my childhood in Surrey and Sussex.

I visited John and Judy Horrell's garden, led there by some out-of-town friends who are enthusiastic gardeners, and after admiring the gorgeous garden the Horrells have created, conversation turned to Roland's Wood.  John Horrell is there most days, planting, pruning and planning, and he has a vision for making Roland's Wood all that it can be.

Thank you Roland, and to all the others, especially John Horrell, who are helping Roland's Wood flourish.

Photo by Keri Molloy
(Click to enlarge)

1 comment:

  1. Jeannie took us to visit Roland's Wood when we came to stay in Kerikeri for a weekend. What a thoughtful and selfless gesture it is for someone to give a beautiful piece of land like this for others to enjoy. Well done all you volunteers - I'd love to come back in spring and see bluebells and blossoms! Keep up the good work.

    Linda Hart

    ReplyDelete